What are my nieces rights after being kicked out by her husband? 1 Answers as of February 18, 2011

Ok my niece and the kids were kicked out of her home by her husband. He won't give her, her keys and has already changed the locks. I don't know what happened this time but he has abused her before. She said that he stated that he was tired of taking care of them. She runs a house keeping company that she started up herself and he won't allow her to get her supplies. I was just wondering if you can give me some advice because there are kids involved and she said this came out of the blue the other night.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
Reeves Law Firm, P.C. | Roy L. Reeves
The best thing your niece can do is file a divorce and seek temporary orders. If she does not want a divorce (I have run across this situation) then file a Suit Affecting a Parent Child Relationship - and seek temporary orders through that proceeding. Get in front of a judge sooner rather than later. In a case like this, waiting is equal to saying there is no harm. He is denying her access to the home (community property), he is denying her access to her supplies (community property that she needs to make a living to support the kids) and he is denying her access to the family income - his pay check (also community property).

Hire lawyer NOW. Do not wait until he has squandered the supplies, money, etc., your niece needs to take charge of her life and make her husband stand or back-down.

If this occurred in Collin County or Dallas County, please let me know. Otherwise, get local counsel now.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 2/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: