What are my liabilities if I refuse to enroll my high school aged child at his home school? Posted on August 16, 2011

We are in a temporary apartment until we close on a single family home. We currently have a contract on a house. Our apartment is in the boundary area of one district high school, but the house we are buying is in the other district's high school boundary. We really want our child to start at the high school in the area we are buying the house. I understand residency requirements, but I thought our house contract would suffice. The overlap between school starting and the house closing is less than 2 weeks. It's hard enough to start a new school, let alone knowing they will have to start AGAIN in a week? What would happen if we wait to enroll our child in the district until we close on the house and we DO NOT enroll him in the high school near our apartment?