What are my liabilities and safety issues on a house I own but do not live in? 2 Answers as of July 21, 2017

I will become the beneficiary of my father’s house. It is paid off. I will keep it and let my brothers live in it. I am married with kids and own a home already. If they do something stupid and get sued, or burn the house down, how do I protect myself and my personal home and family? Is there an inheritance tax?

LAW OFFICE OF ROBERT I LONG
LAW OFFICE OF ROBERT I LONG | Robert I. Long
You should take out a standard homeowner's insurance policy that includes a rider for non-owner occupancy. The policy limits for the liability coverage can be negotiated, and I recommend it at least match or slightly exceed the value of your other assets. Also consider 'replacement-cost' for the hazard portion of the coverage, which means that if the house is destroyed it is replaced, but built to modern standards (i.e., "to Code").
You will need liability insurance and rental agreements with your brothers even if it only for a nominal amount. There currently is no inheritance tax on estates of less that $2.4 million.