What are my legal options on harassment and sexual comment and gesture in workplace? 6 Answers as of January 29, 2014

At work I had a verbal confrontation with another employee in a calm tone and demeanor I asked the relief employee if he could keep the place a little cleaner. He then flew off the handle screaming and yelling profanity, pointing in my face and threatening me that if I thought it was bad now wait and see what it looks like tomorrow. He then looked at me and said to "f**k his balls" and grabbed them. I then went to my production specialist’s office right away and turned him in for harassment and sexual harassment due to the comment he made. The p.s had two other people that witnessed this and they both filled out statements. One heard the sexual comment along with the harassment and one just witnessed the harassment. I filled out a statement as well. It took them several days to give the employee a final warning with no time off this is not common practice. This happened at another part of the factory and they got rid of the aggressor immediately. Since this happened they have not moved my relief to another area or disciplined him any further. He still makes comments under his breath daily. Hand smacking at me (fist to hand) when he makes sure no one is around. I have told my p.s. and they tell me they don't know what to tell me he also looks at me and sometimes in front of the day and night p.s. he laughs directly at me. Uncontrollably what can I do here I’m losing sleep and I don't really want to go to work anymore because I know he will be tormenting me? I've worked there 5 years.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Well you might want to sue the employee and your work for sexual harassment.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/29/2014
you should speak with an attorney that handles discrimination cases. I do not. l Most do not charge just to talk. I do not know a lot about this, but it sounds like you have a good case, and I urge you to follow up on this immediately. Do not let him get away with this. Stand up for yourself and the others in your work place.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 1/24/2014
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Leave the job, or give an attorney about $ 5000 for a retainer in order to sue the workplace.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 1/27/2014
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
Since it appears that the company is doing nothing and they know of the problem, you could have an action against the comp[any for "hostile work environment". I would suggest that you speak with an attorney who does employment law.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 1/27/2014
Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
You have the choice to do nothing, hire an attorney to initiate an action or go to the state Human Rights Commission and file a complaint. You should also make it very clear to your employer that the harassment is ongoing and that you find your working conditions to be intolerable. Document everything that happens and everything that you do.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 1/24/2014
    Coane and Associates
    Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
    I'd suggest seeing a lawyer like myself who specializes in employment law. And, if you need some time off from work, maybe go see a doctor and get a note to stay off work for a while.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 1/24/2014
Click to View More Answers: