What are my legal options if my previous school won't release my transcript? How? 4 Answers as of July 01, 2015

I attended this university. I still owe the school some money and is in the process of completing the payment. I need my transcript but the school refuses to send them. I am attending another school now and will be almost finished. If I cannot get my transcript from the other university, I won't be able to get my financial aid. The previous university kept enrolling me in classes and they were having trouble with my package.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
You will have to pay the former school your outstanding balance in order to get an official copy of your transcripts released.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 7/1/2015
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
Generally the only way to get it from them is to satisfy your bill or you can get it when you are in bankruptcy but that may not be what you want.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/1/2015
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
If you owe them money, they may have a right to not release the transcript. If there is a dispute over what you owe, and you cannot resolve it, you probably have a lawsuit on your hands.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 6/30/2015
Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen
Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen | Joshua Cohen
Talk to a bankruptcy attorney. If you file a bankruptcy the school have to give your transcripts.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 6/30/2015
Click to View More Answers: