What are my child custody rights if the father wants to adopt my child? 2 Answers as of July 19, 2011

My son is almost four and his biological father has been in prison a year for battery against a pregnant person he has never paid child support and has only seen my child a few times since we split up when my child was a year old. I'm getting married in November and my fiance would like to adopt my son if it is possible. How would I go about taking the biological fathers rights away?

Fox Law Firm LLC
Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
You have to inform the father of the stepfather's intentions to adopt the child - the father has to have the right to dispute the adoption. If he consents, it is the easiest way to move forward, which it sounds like he won't have a problem consenting.
Law Offices of Lopez, Pyrchalla & Kaufman, LLC
Law Offices of Lopez, Pyrchalla & Kaufman, LLC | Russell I. Kaufman
Have you spoken to the biological father about this. That should be your first step. Does he agree. If not you have a difficult road ahead of you.