What are the legal rights of my baby's daddy? 4 Answers as of September 09, 2013

I'm a single mom, baby is 7 weeks old. His daddy signed paternity acknowledgment and I added his last name to my baby's name together with my maiden name. I want to know what rights he has as a dad right away and what he needs to pursue through court? I'm thinking about moving back to Europe with baby where all my support is. Do I need his permission or not? He is threatening to get a lawyer and taking baby away from me.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
John Russo | John Russo
I doubt very much you will be able to leave the country with that child.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 9/9/2013
Fox Law Firm LLC
Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
He has the same rights as you do. One parent does not have greater weight over another parent, unless the court deems otherwise. If you want to move out of the country, yes, you need his permission or he can hire an attorney and stop (or at least delay) your travel plans.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 9/9/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
He has the same rights as you to custody of your child. If you want to ensure that he cannot come in and take your son, you need to file a petition for custody and child support. If he objects, you will probably not be able to take your son out of the state.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 9/9/2013
Welsh Law, LLC
Welsh Law, LLC | Michael Shane Welsh
Custody decisions are a state specific area of law. What state are you in? As the child's father, he has a right to play a role in the child's life. If you are in Georgia and he files a petition to establish custody or to define his rights, you will be prohibited from moving out of the state by a standing order that gets issued with the petition. Also, my recollection of international travel is that you will both have to be present or consent to the issuance of a passport for a minor child.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 9/9/2013
Click to View More Answers: