What are the legal ramifications of a long term girlfriend leaving? How? 6 Answers as of August 19, 2015

We own house together. Only my name is on the mortgage. Hers is on the deed alongside mine. Do I have to buy her out or sell property so that she can get on with her life with new man?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
You should consult with a real property attorney. Her name on the deed may result in legal issues that need to be resolved. Also, see if she will sign a quit claim deed, granting the property to you. Has she been paying or contributing to the mortgage payments?
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/19/2015
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
If she is on the deed, the property is half hers, unless you have a written agreement that says otherwise. Unfortunately, only you are on the mortgage; therefore, she has no financial liability for the house. You need to buy her out and have her sign a Quit Claim Deed OR sell the house and divide any proceeds.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/18/2015
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
Since this is a nonmarital relationship, you will have to go into the civil courts for an action to quiet title. Please meet with a civil litigation real estate attorney to explore your legal options.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/18/2015
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
If she has an ownership interest than she is entitled to a share of the value of the house. You may be able to refinance to get her equitable share out while retaining the mortgage. If not, the house will have to be sold.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/18/2015
John Russo | John Russo
Short answer is YES, you most likely hold title as joint tenants so she could file an action for Partition to Sell. Also she is drivers seat since you own all the liability and only half the equity, i.e. your 100% responsible for mortgage, she is not.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 8/18/2015
Click to View More Answers: