What are the laws regarding step parent adoption and child support payments? 1 Answers as of July 19, 2011

My husband wants to adopt my daughter. Her father lives in another state, is currently paying child support through the state, but owes a lot of back child support. He will agree to terminate rights. How do I get this done? Also what happens to the child support arrangements?

It is rather simple, you file a Petition for adoption just like any other adoption along with a termination of the father's parental rights. He hopefully will sign his rights over. The process is just that, a process of legal documentation, background checks (which are really not needed but the law does not make and exception for step-parents), etc. As for back support, it is still owed, however, you can agree to forgive it or not.