What are the laws regarding my landlord and tenant questions? 1 Answers as of July 07, 2011

We had a 6 month lease(starting Jan 2011), had to relocate (job related) to another state but we honored the lease & paid for all 6 months. We moved out April 27th. Landlord kept part of our sec dep. stating we took an item from the home but we did NOT. And to pay for her waterbill for the month of May. But not June as she stated to me on the phone a new tenant moved in at the end of May & is now responsible for the water. Are we entitled to get the remainder of our security deposit back and our rent money for June seeing as a new tenant also paid her rent in June? Is it illegal to collect double rent for the same unit from 2 different tenants? What should we do?

Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
You could pursue a lawsuit (depending upon the amount of the deposit owed a small claims suit) to dispute the item you say you did not take. A landlord can collect rent from two tenants for the same month under the scenario you gave. It would have been better to have strictly complied with terms of the lease (without actually reading it, it's very difficult to address your questions), provided 30 days advance notice, and paid until a tenant was located. Again, without actually reading the lease, it's very difficult to say what can be pursued here. I suggest contacting an attorney who can interact with you and obtain more information to give you your options.