What are the laws regarding dual citizenship? 4 Answers as of July 14, 2011

I was born in Canada. I've lived in the US since I was 9. Do I have dual citizenship?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Maybe. If your parents became citizens while you were a minor child, then you may already be a citizen. But you can't become a USC by virtue of living here alone. You must make an application for it unless you can show that you were born here in the US. Talk to your parents and find out. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/14/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
Unlikely in fact you may be an undocumented alien in the U.S. if you never applied for permanent residency. Canadians are allowed to visit for up to six months without obtaining a nonimmigrant or immigrant visa. Good news is that you do not accrue unlawful presence as your status is considered Duration of Stay. No idea how old you are from the facts given but recommend you consult with an experienced counsel to determine what you should do.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/12/2011
Kevin Bluitt, Attorney at Law
Kevin Bluitt, Attorney at Law | Kevin Bluitt
Birth in Canada makes you a Canadian citizen by birth and if both your parents were US citizens you may very well have dual citizenship...but your question does not provide enough detail. But just because you "lived" in US since 9 does not make you a citizen.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/13/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
You do not acquire US citizenship simply by living in the US. You must first get a green card, then after a certain number of years (typically 5 years), file an application to be naturalized. However, in case I did not understand your question and you are already a US citizen, you can keep both citizenship as long as the US citizenship was acquired after some date in the 1970's (Sorry exact date not available). If you have both citizenship, you travel to Canada with the Canadian passport, and travel to the US with the US passport.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/12/2011
Click to View More Answers: