What are the implications of a felony diversion program in North Carolina for embezzlement? 1 Answers as of June 13, 2011

I was Charged with 1 count of embezzlement recently. The DA offered either the plea to a misdemeanor or enter the felony diversion Program. I am a college bound student who has never done anything wrong in my life, and just made a mistake. What are the implications of each and how could each affect me? What would the DA likely do for the misdemeanor charge? and could I possibly ask the DA to include Expungement right away following I plea guilty to the minor charge?

Clifford Clendenin & O'Hale, LLP
Clifford Clendenin & O'Hale, LLP | Locke T. Clifford
A misdemeanor conviction will be on your record permanently and cannot be expunged. After you complete a diversion program, the charge gets dismissed and you could get it expunged, so this would likely be the better option for you.