What are the implications of a felony diversion program for embezzlement? 5 Answers as of June 30, 2015

I was charged with 1 count of embezzlement recently. The DA offered either the plea to a misdemeanor or enter the felony diversion program. I am a college bound student who has never done anything wrong in my life, and just made a mistake. What are the implications of each and how could each affect me? What would the DA likely do for the misdemeanor charge? And could I possibly ask the DA to include expungement right away following I plea guilty to the minor charge?

Guilty plea means that the conviction is on your record forever. You need to consult an attorney, because you sound like an idiot. You were arrested for criminal theft. Don't pass over that too quickly. THE PROSECUTOR THINKS THAT YOU ARE A THIEF. You either are, and are getting a sweetheart deal, or you are not, and can act as sanctimonious as you want.
If you are represented by an attorney, this is something you should be talking to your attorney. If you are not represented, then you should hire an attorney immediately.
Without seeing the paperwork, I can't advise.
Your best option is the diversion program. Once completed your record becomes clean as if no charges have been entered. Depending on the amount of money you could see jail time. If you decide not to do the diversion program, you will have the charges on your record until you can expunge it. You can only expunge it after two years after you complete your sentencing terms. Hence, any background check will show the charge. This will impact your ability to get a job, an apartment, or a loan.
Law Office of Darin Kanfer | Darin J. Kanfer
A diversion program generally acts like an expungement once the program is completed successfully. With a misdemeanor, you would have to go back to the court 5 years after your sentence ended (if you qualify) and ask that the conviction be set aside.