What are the grandparent's visitation rights? 3 Answers as of April 28, 2012

My husband and I have a child together and are still happily married. His parents want to have visitation with our child and we are not speaking at the moment. Do we have rights to deny them visitation? They do not like our parenting style and ridicule our child for participating in church. They are rude and disrespectful and we don't think it is in the best interest of our child to have visitation at this time. Can they possibly get visitation rights? Also, if by chance they were granted visitation rights- could we make sure it was supervised visitation? Also, if the grandparents live in a different state do they have to file in our state where the child lives?

H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
In Georgia, grandparents can sometimes get visitation rights, but they have to petition a court to receive them. Otherwise, whether and how much they see your child is up to your husband and you.
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
If you and the father are happily married and living together, then the grandparents have no visitation rights and no basis for filing for visitation rights in court. You do not have to allow grandparent visitation.