What are the first steps on how I should fight a DUI? 22 Answers as of April 24, 2015

I was just arrested for a DUI. What are the first steps that I should take to fight it?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Eric J. Bell | Eric J. Bell
You should immediately hire an experienced DUI lawyer in Illinois. Then you should file a Petition to Rescind the Summary Suspension. If you file this right away sometimes you can catch the State off guard and you can successfully get the petition rescinded on the first court date.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 4/24/2015
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
You need to retain an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/22/2015
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
Hire the best DUI attorney you can afford. Make sure the attorney regularly practices in the court in which your case is being prosecuted.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 4/22/2015
Natty Shafer Law
Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
Hire an attorney to fight the charge. That is your best chance of being successful. Also, you have 10 days to request a hearing from the Driver's License Division to avoid having your driver's license suspended. Some of us attorneys offer a free consultation about your case.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 4/22/2015
Team Green Lawyers, PLLC
Team Green Lawyers, PLLC | James R. Daley
The first step is to hire a defense attorney with experience in representing those charged with DWI. Hopefully you have been arraigned on the charges yet and should hire an attorney ASAP. If you gave a breath test, your license is subject to suspension at arraignment (before you are even found guilty of anything). An experienced attorney can go through the reports with you and search for valid defenses you may have against the charges.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/22/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Hire a good attorney is the best first step.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/22/2015
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    If they took your license you only have 10 days to file for an administrative appeal with the department of driver services. That is the first thing you should do. The second thing you should do is contact a Georgia DUI attorney for representation. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 4/22/2015
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    Hire an experienced DUI lawyer. In response to your DUI Post: I am a criminal defense attorney with more than 17 years experience on DUI cases. If you would like to discuss your case, please contact me. Some important information- DMV Issues - If you have been served with a Notice of Revocation, then you have 7 days to request a hearing. Please do that immediately by going to your local DMV office, tell them you got a DUI and you want to request a hearing. They will give you a form. DO NOT REQUEST THE OFFICER. We can do that later if we choose to, but most often it means you will lose. The receipt DMV gives you allows you to drive until the day of the hearing. Request a copy of the Expressed Consent Packet. Evidence Issues - It would be valuable to immediately request all police reports, including all audio and video recordings from dash recorders, lapel recorders and police station recorders from the police agency that arrested you and the prosecution. Include in your written request a statement that you believe the audio and video recordings are ?material and exculpatory.? Make sure you get a copy of your request with the date, signature and name of the person that you give it to. Representation begins when client pays attorney an agreed upon retainer and returns a signed fee agreement.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 4/22/2015
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren | Russell A. Warren
    You should retain an attorney to represent you. They can work to avoid any conviction on your record. They can also work to avoid any jail time against you and help you get your license reinsatated.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 4/22/2015
    Grantland, Blodgett, Shaw & Abel
    Grantland, Blodgett, Shaw & Abel | Gregory M. Abel
    Contact a qualified DUII attorney as soon as possible.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 4/22/2015
    P. Adam Militello, Esq.
    P. Adam Militello, Esq. | Adam Militello
    The only way to fight a DWI is with an experienced DWI attorney. Really- not just an attorney. Not just a criminal attorney. You need a DWI attorney who has experience fighting these cases. Going in without an attorney is a virtual guarantee that you will be convicted. I suggest finding a lawyer who is a member of the National College for DUI Defense, because it is an indication of their commitment to knowing that particular area of law.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 4/21/2015
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq. | Stephanie Lee Ehrbright
    First you usually have two weeks to request a hearing from MVD regarding your license. You should have been given a pink or yellow sheet of paper called an Admin Per Se that will have the form on the back. Then you will likely be scheduled for an Arraignment where you will plead Not Guilty. Then your case will be set for a Pretrial Conference where you or your attorney will speak with the Prosecutor and get copies of all the Police Reports. Those will need to be examined and the officers interviewed to determine what the evidence is, if anything was done incorrectly, and how strong their case is. I recommend contacting a qualified attorney to help in this process to make sure that nothing is missed.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 4/21/2015
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    Hire a lawyer. Call the DMV driver safety office and set up a DMV hearing.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/21/2015
    The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
    You need to retain an attorney who has experience defending DUI charges.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 4/21/2015
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    Hire a lawyer and tell the?lawyer the "tale". The lawyer will ask questions and if the lawyer needs you to do anything, the lawyer will instruct you.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 4/21/2015
    Jefferson and Biggs | Matthew Jefferson
    File the DMV hearing request immediately, and get yourself a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 4/21/2015
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!