What are the fines for a teen caught in possession of drugs? 7 Answers as of November 09, 2010

My 16 year old got caught with ecstasy pills and marijuana with her friends. What is the fine and the sentence going to be? Is there anything I can do to make it lesser?

Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
Generally speaking, juvenile courts do not impose heavy fines. Their function is to rehabilitate young people. Therefore, I do not expect there to be any substantial fine, but it is possible that your daughter would be required to attend a counseling program which could cost money. It is also possible that she could be required to spend time in a juvenile facility which could cost money also.

Our office is very experienced in handling these matters. For more information or to be represented, please call us.
Fine? How about jail? The charges could range from misdemeanor possession to felony sales. What can you do? Defend the charges. Go to court, enter a not guilty plea, arrange bail reduction or OR, set up and attend the court hearing[s] and trial date[s]. File evidence suppression or other motions as applicable. Raise all the available defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence and facts are available for legal arguments for motions, plea bargaining, or at trial. Go to trial if it can't be resolved with motions or a plea bargain. There is no magic wand to wave and make it all disappear. If you do not know how to do these things, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a decent plea bargain for you. If serious about doing so, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help you use whatever defenses you may have.
As a juvenile he is subject to the jurisdiction of the juvenile court. He can be punished in a number of ways ranging from probation and drug treatment all the way to being incarcerated for as long as an adult could but at a juvenile facility. Each type of drug carries different maximum penalties. Because he could suffer such consequences if and when you go to court the judge will encourage him to have an attorney whom you could retain or the court could appoint.
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert | Marc K. Herbert
Possession of ecstasy is a felony and can result in a maximum custody time of three years, while obsession of marijuana may be a felony or a misdemeanor based on the quantity.

For juveniles, there are several different types of probation available, some which allow for a dismissal of charges. The type of probation and amount of fines offered before trial is usually based on prior record (if any), school performance, and quantity of drugs in the current case.

The best thing that your child can do at this point is to attend school every day, earn C grades or higher and avoid behavior problems at school.

If you would like to talk about your child's case in more detail, please call my office.
In California a juvenile is provided with free legal representation by the Public Defender even if the parents can afford to hire an attorney. Each court is different so it is best to ask someone familiar with the situation in the juvenile court where her case will be handled.
    Hiring an attorney will get you the best results. There are a number of factors that can happen since it is in juvenile court.
    Fines are the last thing you should worry about. You need to hire a lawyer for her, because jail is a very real possibility.