What are copyright issues regarding textbook use? 3 Answers as of March 02, 2011

I'm in the process of starting my own teaching business. And my question is about text books. I would like to know: do I have to have a permission to teach from any of the textbooks at my center? In other words, if I tell my students to buy authentic copies of certain textbooks, e.g. academic reading encounters, and then teach the book at my center, is that legally ok? Or I have to get a permission from Cambridge to do so? One final question: can I just buy one copy of a listening textbook and use it with my students, instead of every one of them buying a copy. I just buy one authentic copy for the instructor who can play the tape and then ask the questions found in the textbook and discuss the topic with the students. I want to know is it legal to do so: buy one copy for the instructor, from which he/she can read the questions or play the tape? Thank you.

DANIEL NESBITT
DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
You ask several questions. Regarding text books, you can teach from any textbook. Copies of the textbook for the students should be obtained legally, either purchased or copied with the publisher's (copyright owners) permission. Book tape: You should though read the terms of the license that comes with the book tape, though you should be able to play the tape to the students, and then ask them questions found in the textbook.
Michael M. Ahmadshahi
Michael M. Ahmadshahi | Michael M. Ahmadshahi, Ph.D., Esq.
With respect to your first question, no permission is required to teach from a copyrighted book, so you do not have to get permission from Cambridge. With respect to your second question, playing a tape that contains copyrighted material is considered public performance of the copyrighted material and therefore you do need permission. Under certain circumstances use of a copyrighted material is considered fair use and therefore permissible. In general, educational use is considered fair use. However, if the user gains financially from the use, it maybe considered infringement.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
Sorry - the instructor can buy just one book and teach from it BUT the instructor cannot buy one audio book and let all of his students listen to it at once. That would be a copyright infringement. Each has to buy their own.