What are the consequences of a cocaine conviction? How? 7 Answers as of May 04, 2015

I was arrested and charged with simple cocaine possession over the weekend. The cops said that it was a major offense but is that really true? Can I just go with the DA?

The DA will be the person responsible for sending you to prison. So, IF you want to go to prison, by all means go with the DA.
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
It is a felony, but if it is a small amount, you will most likely at least be able to reduce it to a misdemeanor. An attorney MAY be able to get it dismissed.
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
NO you cannot?"just go with the DA." The DA represents the state and wants you to be convicted and would like to put you in custody. You need to hire a lawyer. There is no "simple" possession. If it under a gram, it is a state felony which carries an automatic deferred adjudication probation if you have no priors; otherwise, it carries 6 months to 2 years in state jail and a fine. There are also collateral consequences such as loss of driving privileges and it could affect your ability to get a job and an apartment.
Law Office of James E. Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
It is a felony so I would get a lawyer.
Go with the DA? The DA is the one prosecuting you. You better hire a lawyer before you incriminate yourself in open court.