What are the consequences of a California DUI if I live in Texas? 2 Answers as of January 04, 2011

I live in Texas and was stopped for DUI in California. I refused the breathalyzer and blood test. How will this impact my Texas driver license, and what type of fines will I be faced with in California.

Law Office of Tim W. Avery
Law Office of Tim W. Avery | Tim W. Avery
I cannot comment on what sort of punishment you will face if you are convicted since it is a California case and I practice in Texas so you will need to consult with a California lawyer. As to the question regarding your Texas driver's license, if California suspends your license (or privilege to drive) in the State of California for the refusal or later for the conviction (if convicted), then yes, Texas may also suspend your Texas license.
Law Office of Jamie Balagia
Law Office of Jamie Balagia | Will Mitchell
If you have a Texas driver's license, DPS will mail you a notice of suspension to the address listed on your driver's license. You must hire a Texas lawyer immediately to try and prevent your license from being suspended for 180 days if this is your first DWI. There is a 15 day deadline to request the driver's license hearing from the day DPS sends out it's notice which is why it is very important you contact a lawyer immediately. Depending on the outcome of your California DUI, will determine if your subject to another suspension.