What are the consequences for a minor to run away from probation? 2 Answers as of June 08, 2011

What are the consequences for a minor to run away from probation and they have a felony on their record in California? What if they were caught after they are 18? What if they are caught before 18? Does the warrant dissipate with a certain amount of time? Will they be extradited? The felony is burglary. What will happen? The worst and the best? Thanks.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of George Woodworth & Associates
Law Offices of George Woodworth & Associates | George Woodworth
It is never a good idea to desert Felony Probation, as it is always waiting when you return. If still 18 when arrested, you will likely stay under orders of Juvenile Court, facing some custody/community service time. However, if over 18 when returned, & depending on any other crimes done in the meantime, the person may be punished more severely, with longer Probation period (up to age 25 in Calif). Extradition laws vary state-to-state, so for specific answers on this minor's prospects consult an experienced Attorney right away.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/8/2011
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
Probation violation and an arrest warrant. Warrants are forever. To handle a warrant, you must turn yourself into the court, with or without an attorney, and try to negotiate a recall of the warrant, a plea bargain on the Failure to Appear charge and outstanding charges that caused the warrant, and also the Probation Violation charges. Doing so voluntarily will result in a better outcome than being brought in cuffs to court after arrest on the warrant. That can happen if you come in contact with law enforcement or customs anywhere in the US. If this is a felony, the defendant must be personally present at every court hearing and appearance. If this is a misdemeanor, the attorney can appear in court without the defendant being present, and any plea bargain deal could be handled by notarized paperwork. You face potential jail and fines, so handle it right. Unless you're competent to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor trying to put you in jail, most people hire an attorney who can. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: