What are the child relinquishment rights in Washington? 4 Answers as of May 06, 2011

In the state of Washington, what are the regulations of child relinquishment? And why does a child have to be adopted if a parent willingly wants to relinquish all rights? And when did this law change?

A child needs to be adopted because the state has an interest in the welfare of the child. A child is born with two parents. To put the child at a lifetime disadvantage by eliminating50% of the equation is inherently unfair to the child.
Seattle Divorce Services
Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
It is my understanding, as you point out, that in order to have one's parental rights and responsibilities terminated in the state of Washington, someone else has to adopt the child. I believe the purpose of that rule is to ensure that a child is not simply left with no father and/or mother at all. The state wants to see someone willing to step into that role before they release someone else from the responsibility for the child.
Berner Law Group, PLLC
Berner Law Group, PLLC | Jack Berner
The state does not want to give up a pocket it can go after for support of the child if the other parent goes on state assistance.
Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
I am not sure when/if the law changed; but, in Washington State, a parent may voluntarily relinquish his or her rights to residential time with the child but may still be obligated to pay child support.