What are the child custody rights if I am moving to a different state? 6 Answers as of January 30, 2014

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
you are still subject to the order in the state where you currently reside
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 1/30/2014
John Russo | John Russo
Sorry, but this question makes no sense.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 1/30/2014
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
My suggestion is to talk to an attorney because your rights differ depending on whether custody (decision-making and parenting time) orders are already in place or if they are already established, your rights depend upon what orders you were given. Relocation can be very tricky with children and there are numerous factors that the court will consider in allowing it.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 1/30/2014
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
In California, we have an area of law called "move away child custody cases." In this instance, the moving parent should file a motion with the court to modify any existing orders if they intend to relocate to a different area and that relocation would impact the existing parenting plan.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/30/2014
The Law Firm of Jessica M. Cotter, P.L.L.C. | Jessica M. Cotter
You do not provide sufficient meaningful information to permit an answer. Are there any custody orders in place? When you say "moving to another state" do you mean that you intend to also take the child or children?
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 1/29/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    If you are doing it with the consent of the other parent or the court (and you have custody of the child), the rights remain the same. If you don't have those consents, then you may have to return the child to the state. If you do not have primary custody of the child, then your rights are what are in the present custody order.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 1/29/2014
Click to View More Answers: