What are the chances a possible felony charge can be reduced to a serving community service? Or is it automatic jail time? 1 Answers as of March 09, 2017

I have this friend and last year, they got into trouble with the police. It was fall 2015 and they were with friend smoking marijuana and the police were called on them. Now for some reason my friend decided to run and it resulted in an injury to the officer’s meniscus. Since the incident occurred on campus, my friend was disciplined by the school but was no word from the police. Now over a year has passed and we thought the situation had been dropped but earlier today, my friend received a call saying that they need to turn themselves in, get fingerprinted, their picture taken, and they told them their court date. The police informed them that it was a felony charge and because the officer was injured it could be punishable by 1 to 4 years. And there would be a charge for the possession in marijuana (I believe a year). He's a college student and hasn't been in any trouble with the law before. Do you know if they will take that into consideration?

Sentencing could be all over the map on this one. The key is for your friend to obtain a skilled local lawyer to begin the defense. An officer getting injured is pretty bad, but no record helps.