What are the chances of my friend being deported? 5 Answers as of September 15, 2011

I have a friend who will be deported...this friend is in an abusive relationship, where their partner has stolen their passport. My friend wants to start school. My friend is afraid to go to the police fearing they will be deported. How will the police handle the abuse charges and stolen passport? My friend wants to stay in this country and go to school. Will that help them be able to stay? What should their next step be?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
There are options for abused spouses of a permanent resident or U.S. citizen to self-petition to remain in the U.s. and get their own permanent residency. If the abuser is not a R or USC, there may still be options to remain in the U.S. and leave the abuser. I recommend your friend consult with a qualified immigration attorney who can assess her case and properly advise her on her options. Get her to a battered women's shelter in your area as quickly as you can.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/15/2011
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
Contact an immigration lawyer in this case. A lot more facts need to be extracted before the lawyer can recommend a strategy.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/4/2011
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
The local police are unlikely to involve themselves in your friend's immigration status (whatever it may be),and, therefore, s/he should go to the local police authorities to report any crime of which he or she may be a victim.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 8/2/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
Your friend may have a vast claim and needs to consult with an immigration attorney
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/2/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Your question is too vague to answer. How did your friend come to the country, what is his current legal status..was he in removal proceeding? more details need to know for advice. Your friend should schedule a face to face consultation with an experienced lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: