What are the chances of getting a i 601 waiver? 1 Answers as of May 17, 2011

My husband has been in Mexico for four years now. He signed a voluntary departure in 2007 was convicted on identy theft for using someone elses social security number to gain employment.(he didnt know this number was good) We have an appointment on May 20,2011 to turn in the I601 waiver what are the chances of getting approved? We have 2 kids and I am a US citizen.

Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
The waiver must demonstrate that you will suffer extreme hardship if he can not return. The waiver can not be based on the children. If he has parents with either a green card or US citizenship, those may be used. Waivers are very complex paperwork, requiring a lot of work and lots of documentation. A small letter from you begging then to approve your husband will not cut it. If you have any medical issues, your medical record should be included in the waiver applications. The waiver must describe what would your life be like if you were alone in the US or if you lived with him in Mexico. The official reviewing his waiver application must be convince of your hardship. About 65% of the I-601 waivers are approved in Mexico. Those prepared by an attorney have higher approval rates than those prepared by "notorios". Good luck.