What are all the possible punishments for this a petty theft (misdemeanor)? 8 Answers as of December 12, 2013

I have a clean record and a juvenile. The item stolen was returned. I do not qualify for the diversion program because of my location and the crimes originated location.

Likely looking at a fine. As a juvenile you can have the record sealed. Always best to get a lawyer.
6-12 months in jail followed by probation.
Robert R. Goldstein, Attorney at Law
Robert R. Goldstein, Attorney at Law | Robert R. Goldstein
If it has been charged as a 1st degree misdemeanor, the maximum punishment is a $1,000 fine and six months in jail.
You want to see if the court will allow a plea under advisement. This is because the result of having a conviction on your record is more serious than any punishment that they do for such a crime. The record is permanent. What employer wants to hire a thief?
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
Retain a good lawyer to handle the case. If it is a first offense you will not usually get jail. If you have a bad record and have been on probation the judge will consider a jail term. You must make better decisions in the future. You can get up to a year on a misdemeanor and will serve 8 months at most with good time.
    Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC
    Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC | Tricia Dwyer, Esq.
    You should turn to your attorney for detailed legal counsel since you state you cannot qualify for a diversion program. A theft conviction is serious and has many negative collateral consequences.
    The Rogers Law Firm
    The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
    In Missouri, the maximum potential penalty for misdemeanor theft is 1 year in jail and a $1,000 fine. If you hire an attorney to represent you, your attorney may be able to get the charge dismissed or amended to a lesser offense, such as "Littering". You will have to pay a fine, but it's possible that you might not have to appear in court.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Yes diversion.