What are the 12 factors that determine which parent gets custody of the child in a divorce? 1 Answers as of December 20, 2012

I am about to go through a divorce with my ex husband. We have been separated for nearly a year and through all of this time our son (just over 1 year old) has lived with myself with the exceptions of the 3 sometimes 4 weekends a month that his father wants him. Long story short he has hinted at getting custody of our son. I dont want to lose my son. But my ex does make alot more money than I do. What are the 12 factors that decide who gets the child?

The Law Office of Kate M. Forrest, PLLC
The Law Office of Kate M. Forrest, PLLC | Kate Forrest
What most people refer to as custody is much more complicated that than in Washington-we have parenting plans and residential schedules that address not only when the child will be living with each parent, but also a lot about who makes important decisions regarding how the child is raised (and unless there are reasons to restrict one parent's participation, it's usually joint). The criteria for establishing a permanent parenting plan can be found in RCW 26.09.187 (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=26.09.187 ), but I think you would really benefit from discussing this with an attorney.