What is the amount of monthly income where a judgement cannot garnish wages? 13 Answers as of January 09, 2013

If a debt collection agency is threatening a judgement what is a monthly wage amount that is exempted from being garnished?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy | Dan Wilson
Judgment creditor can garnish 25% of take home.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 1/9/2013
Law Office of Michael Johnson
Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
It depends on your status re kids and what type of income. You should consult with an attorney as you may be able to eliminate the judgement with a bankruptcy.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/4/2013
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
In Nevada, it is based on a weekly wage, not a monthly amount. Take the amount of the minimum wage ($7.25/hr) and multiply it times 50. That is $362.50 per week or $725.00 biweekly. If you earn more than that amount, your wages can be garnished up to 25%.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 1/4/2013
Richard L. Hirsh, P.C. | Richard L. Hirsh
Under the wage garnishment law 85% of your wages are exempt from garnishment. In addition you have other statutory exemptions which would cover the remaining 15%, up to a maximum of $4000.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 1/3/2013
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
Your entire gross income is garnishable.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 1/4/2013
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    This is slightly more complicated than it looks. Generally speaking wages for 30 hours per week, calculated at the minimum wage, are exempt from garnishment. In addition, if you have dependents living with you, you can get some additional earnings protected. The creditor cannot start a garnishment until it has a judgment against you.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 1/3/2013
    Stephen C. Whalen, P.A | Stephen C. Whalen
    Look at Chapter 222.11 of the Florida Statutes. If you are head of household then your wages are exempt from garnishment. However, if you are not providing more than 50% support to a dependent (ex. minor child) then your wages are subject to 25% garnishment.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 1/4/2013
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
    25% of the gross is the maximum they can take. AND, they have to have a judgement first.... so it not like this is going to happen tomorrow. You have time get a bankruptcy filed. You can also file a "claim of exemption" in the state court case (filed with the sheriffs office) to have them take less.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/3/2013
    The Michigan Bankruptcy HQ
    The Michigan Bankruptcy HQ | Joseph P. Saulski
    Amount Available for Garnishment Beginning: July 24, 2009 Weekly (or more frequently) pay period: $217.50 Biweekly pay period: $435.00 Semimonthly pay period: $471.25 Monthly pay period: $942.50 *Training wage: for person aged 16 to 19 on their first job, use 85% of the above figures.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/4/2013
    The Schreiber Law Firm
    The Schreiber Law Firm | Jeffrey D. Schreiber
    It depends on what state you live in and what type of debt it is. If your are in California and it is for debts like credit cards or medical bills, it is 25%.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/3/2013
    Orrock, Popka, Fortino, Tucker & Dolen
    Orrock, Popka, Fortino, Tucker & Dolen | Myron Wayne Tucker
    Unless you get a court order to lower it, the amount that can be garnished is 25% of the take home amount.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/31/2012
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A.
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A. | Diane L. Drain
    It depends on the exceptions of the state where you live.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 12/31/2012
    Ken Love Law | Kenneth Love
    Consumer debts cant garnish in NC...only taxes, public hospitals, student loans, and child support can garnish in NC.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 12/31/2012
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney