What am I responsible for after I help my wife get her immigration papers? 5 Answers as of December 21, 2010

After I help my wife get her immigration papers, what else will I be held responsible for?

By petitioning for your wife to obtain legal permanent residency, you are responsible for her financial support for up to ten years, even after divorce, if she is unable to support herself or children. If you are able to prove she entered the marriage for fraud, to obtain her visa, you may be able to exonerate yourself. But be on your guard, you must be able to prove that you entered the marriage unaware of her fraudulent intent, otherwise you would be an accessory, and you could be jailed for at least two years. If you need further consultation, you may call or e-mail me to set up a appointment.
Naziri Hanassab LLP
Naziri Hanassab LLP | Vahid Naziri
As a part of petitioning your wife for green card, you will be signing an agreement which you will guarantee her support for 10 years in case she wanted to file for government assistance. You would provide the assistance rather than the government.
Law Offices of Daniel Richardson
Law Offices of Daniel Richardson | Daniel R. Richardson
As a part of petitioning your wife for residence/green card, you will be signing an agreement with the government under which you will guarantee her support for 10 years in case she wanted to file for government assistance. You would provide the assistance rather than the government.
The Purnell Law Firm
The Purnell Law Firm | Simon Purnell
It depends on what you did to help her. Generally speaking though, once she has obtained her papers, there is nothing to do other than keeping them up to date and probably applying for citizenship when she becomes eligible (if that is what she desires).
Remember you signed financial support affidavit? You are responsible to support your wife and prevent her from becoming public charge.