What am I looking at if I pleaded guilty of retail fraud and what can I do about it? 5 Answers as of August 21, 2014

I am a 17 year old. I pleaded guilty to 3rd degree retail fraud. I did not fully understand what I was supposed to do. I had never been in trouble before and I had no lawyer. I thought pleading guilty was the right thing to do. Is there any way around this? Should I still bring a lawyer to my court date? I know the maximum for probation is 2 years but will I really have to serve that long?

You are looking at years of unemployment. This is because you pled to a theft offense. What employer wants to hire a thief! Yes you should get a lawyer and see about withdrawing the plea and see if they have some sort of diversion program so that you end up with no conviction on your record. This record is permanent.? It does not go away. It is NEVER a smart move to plead guilty right up front, except in the most unusual conditions. It is a chump move.
Yes, you are at a huge risk here by doing what you did. A lawyer can help keep it off your record and reduce your sentence.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
I would need some more information to properly answer this question. Did you actually go to your arraignment and plead guilty? Or are you just thinking of pleading guilty? The sentence is at the discretion of the sentencing judge, but if you have not pled guilty yet, you may want to hire an experienced attorney to attempt to deal with the prosecutor and have the charge reduced.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
Unfortunately, the attorney needed to be with you before you pled guilty to provide the proper representation for you. Now you have no plea deal, generally, or any discussion with prosecutor. If given probation, be sure not to violate it.
VALENTE SCHARG & ASSOCIATES | DEAN VALENTE
It always depends on the the court, judge, probation dept and your past. Max is 93 days in jail or up to 2 years probation. There are ways to keep convictions off your record so absolutely hire a good local attorney to help rework your plea....it is up to the court if they want to let you rework your plea but court should be understanding if you have a retained attorney. Good luck.