What am I looking at a first time theft offense? 19 Answers as of September 25, 2012

It was at a Walmart. I was with my boyfriend. We were cooperative with the police. We have stolen two $750 worth of products. We stayed in jail for 12 hours then were released.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of John Carney
Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
You should retain a good criminal lawyer because that is over the $150 that most prosecutors will consider a minor case and offer the ACD dismissal. They may offer a Disorderly Conduct violation but that will give you a record and make it hard to get a job. I have gotten the ACD dismissal with higher amounts in certain courts but it depends on which prosecutor, jurisdiction, and judge you have.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/25/2012
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
It sounds like you were charged as a felon. You will probably get probation, unless you have a background, in which case you could go to prison, get boot camp, etc. If a misdemeanor, perhaps some form of diversion program or supervision with community service.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 9/24/2012
Anderson Law Office
Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
In MN it could be a felony offense because it is over $500. Seek an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 9/22/2012
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
First if this is your first time, then you really want a lawyer, That person may be able to get you a sentence where you end up with no record. If you ever want to get a job try to do this. Avoiding a record for this type of crime is big. What employer wants to hire a thief?
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/22/2012
Law Office of Richard Williams
Law Office of Richard Williams | Richard Williams
Based on the amount of the theft you are likely facing TOP2d charges (felony). The punishment can be not less than one year and one day up to ten years in prison and fine not to exceed $15,000. If you are extremely young you may qualify for youthful offender status. If you have no prior criminal record and there are no aggravating facts supporting the charges, you may be looking at a sentence of probation.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 9/22/2012
    Klisz Law Office, PLLC
    Klisz Law Office, PLLC | Timothy J. Klisz
    Get a lawyer right away. You may be able to avoid criminal conviction if you get the proper plea in order.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 9/22/2012
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    It depends on any prior offenses among other factors. The total stolen is relatively high. It is hard to say.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 9/19/2012
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
    Probably a petty larceny conviction.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 9/19/2012
    Lawrence Lewis
    Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
    It depends on your representation.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 9/19/2012
    Nelson & Lawless
    Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
    You're each potentially facing at least misdemeanor theft charges, up to a felony burglary charges, with that loss value and two conspirators. You'll learn the actual charge[s] filed, and get copies of all the police reports and prosecutors evidence when appearing for arraignment at the first court hearing. The charges actually filed by the prosecutor will determine how much time could potentially be imposed. A little free advice you should have taken: exercise the 5th Amendment right to SHUT UP and do NOT talk to police or anyone about the case except with and through an attorney. When questioned, arrested or charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a test, search or statement be used against you, can you be convicted, and what can you do? Raise all appropriate defenses with whatever witnesses, evidence and sympathies are available for legal arguments, for evidence suppression, search and seizure, or other motions, or for trial. If you don't know how to represent yourself effectively against an experienced prosecutor intending to convict, then hire an attorney who does, who will try to get a dismissal, charge reduction, diversion, programs, or other decent outcome through motions, plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate. If you are first time offenders, your attorney MAY be able to get you a plea bargain that keeps you out of jail, and MAY be able to even avoid a conviction on your record.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/19/2012
    Attorney at Law | Michael P. Vollandt
    Not much, if any, jail time if this is the first offense. If it is an misdemeanor then maybe a couple of days of community service of on weekend work program.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/19/2012
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    You might be looking at an offer for a pre trial diversion program. The best thing you can do is hire an attorney to represent you in the theft case.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 9/19/2012
    Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
    Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
    You say you stole 2 $750.00 items. Based upon the amounts, these are felonies. You are looking at some serous jail time if convicted. Even if you do not to substantial jail time, with a felony theft conviction on your record, good luck finding a job.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 9/19/2012
    Law Office of Phillip Weiser
    Law Office of Phillip Weiser | Phillip L. Weiser
    Usually a first offense is eligible for a diversion, or probation.
    Answer Applies to: Kansas
    Replied: 9/19/2012
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
    Given the high amount, you are in some serious trouble. Theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and having it means you can kiss your future school and employment aspirations goodbye. You need to hire a lawyer before you incriminate yourself further. By the way, cooperating with the police was a real bad idea (you just incrimated yourself!).
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/19/2012
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    You can look forward to hiring a lawyer to avoid a conviction for shoplifting which will keep you unemployed, even by CVC or McDonalds.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 9/19/2012
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    You will likely get credit for time served, required to take a consumers class, pay a fine and do community service. You will be directed to stay away from Walmart for the term of your probation. You will also be required to pay a civil fine to Walmart.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 9/19/2012
    Andersen Law PLLC
    Andersen Law PLLC | Craig Andersen
    You are probably looking at misdemeanor theft charges although if the prosecutor wants to hammer you, he or she could charge burglary. At any rate, you are probably looking at 90 days or less.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 9/19/2012
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Get an attorney, this is a very serious charge given the value of the property involved, speak with no one About the incident until you have received counsel.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 9/19/2012
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney