What am I facing if I am being charged with larceny? 8 Answers as of July 04, 2013

I got caught shoplifting two months ago and I got arrested but when I was arrested they asked to call my mother and i gave them the wrong name and number. Later on found out that I lied... today I got a letter saying I've been charged with larceny and given false information.. by the way I shoplifted from 3 different stores but in all the value is under 50. What do you think would be the outcome or my consequences?

Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
It depends. If you're being charged with a misdemeanor, you could face up to 365 days in the county jail. A felony charge is sometimes worth over 365 days in prison. However, a simple shoplifting offense under $400 with no prior convictions may be considered a minor offense. In Orange County, you could get an offer of giving your DNA to the District Attorney's Office and paying any restitution (if any) in exchange for a guilty plea. It mostly depends on your past criminal record and what the offers are like in your county.
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
You are facing serious criminal charges and you are facing the possibility of a jail sentence. IF you stole from 3 different stores and then you lied to the police as you say you need to retain an experienced criminal defense law firm to help you immediately. You also should strongly consider going to shoplifters classes and possibly consider getting into therapy to help determine why you are doing this.
Youll learn the actual charge[s] filed against you when you appear for arraignment at your first court hearing. The prosecutor can amend at any time he feels he can prove additional or different charges. The charges determine how much time would be imposed if convicted. When charged with a felony, you potentially face one or more years in prison if convicted; on a misdemeanor, you potentially face up to 6-12 months in jail. Multiple counts and charges multiply your problems. If you have priors and strikes, they are penalty enhancements under the 3 Strikes rules. If this constitutes a probation or parole violation, factor those new and old charge[s] in as well. No attorney can predict the outcome, nor even give an intelligent opinion, without reviewing and knowing all the charges, evidence, reports, testimony, priors history, etc. When arrested or charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a search or confession be used against you, and can you be convicted, and what can you do? No amount of free 'tips and hints' from here or anywhere else are going to effectively help you in your defense. A little free advice: exercise the 5th Amendment right to SHUT UP and do NOT talk to anyone except an attorney about the case. That includes on this or any other web site or public forum. Raise all possible defenses with whatever admissible and credible witnesses, evidence and facts are available for legal arguments, for evidence suppression or other motions, or at trial. While this isn't a 'capital case', you certainly face potential jail and fines, so handle it right. You can hire an attorney, unless you know how to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor intending to convict. He will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate.
The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
While it is just not possible to predict the potential outcomes on your matters without more information, I think it is safe to say that you are in some real trouble, The fact that they called your mother tells me you are a juvenile. If so, you really need the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney. The fact that the amount of theft is under $50 doesn't save you from the fact that you keep doing it. Also, it is hard to tell from your questions if you have prior convictions for petty theft. If so, then your case is much more serious. The giving false information to police is not going to help you much either. I hope this answer was helpful. Good luck.
If you don't have any previous record, then you are probably just looking at an anti-theft class and a fine. A good attorney can get it reduced to an infraction.
    You could very well face a felony or felonies. A petty theft that is repeated can be charged as a felony. Passing off another person's name during arrest can also be a felony. Time to get a lawyer.
    Attorney at Law
    Attorney at Law | Michael J. Kennedy
    Depends on where it is and on what is in your past. Probably 20-60 days jail, but some counties are too clogged to give you much jail.
    LynchLaw
    LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
    Petty theft comes with a maximum penalty of 6 months county jail, so long as it is your first offense, along with a fine of $50 to $1000.