What am I facing for a bench warrant from 12 years ago? 4 Answers as of June 03, 2014

I just found out that I have an outstanding bench warrant from 12 years ago. I called the court house and they made it seem like it wasn't for anything serious. A misdemeanor maybe? They said to just come down and clear it up. I served a 60 month prison sentence after and was on parole for 4 years. My parole officer never informed me of this warrant. If I am remembering correctly, I believe that the charges for were dropped on this case and back in those days I was a mess and didn't have a steady address so it's entirely possible that i missed a court date because I was not aware of it. I am planning on going to court house on Monday morning. I just want to know what I am facing and if I do need some sort of representation.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
Don't believe the court officials who said this was not serious. You absolutely need representation. It is good that you want to clear this up but you need a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/3/2014
Law Office of Richard Southard
Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
Obviously no attorney recommend walking into a potentially dangerous situation like returning on a warrant without an attorney. What you are facing depends on the seriousness of the original charge and whether the State indicted you on bail jumping charges.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/2/2014
Hein, Waters & Klein
Hein, Waters & Klein | Irwin G. Klein
Not enough info to answer your question. If you're really concerned maybe you should have someone else check it out for you.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/2/2014
Rothstein Law PLLC
Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
I recently got a dismissal in a similar case without the client having to appear in court. It is always better to have a lawyer. You have some legal arguments for dismissal.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/2/2014
Click to View More Answers: