What action can I take regarding unpaid labor? 7 Answers as of April 02, 2014

I worked for a man and he has owed me the balance for my wages for several months. What can I do? He agreed to everything about my wages from the start but still won't pay.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
If the amount is less than $10,000 issue a demand letter and if still unpaid, sue in Small Claims.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/2/2014
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
File a complaint with the Michigan Wage and hour bureau. You could get triple the amount he owes you.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/2/2014
Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
Have you talked to the Federal Labor Board? They should be able to help you if not consult the state labor board. If neither of the agencies can help you, talk to an attorney about a lawsuit.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Replied: 4/2/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
I would need to know more about the circumstances of your plate. Generally, if you were employee, you could bring a complaint with the wage and hours division of the state government.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/2/2014
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
File complaint with the dept of labor.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/2/2014
    Geneva Yourse | Geneva Yourse
    If you are in the state of NC, you can contact the NC Department of Labor (DOL) at 1-800-NC Labor. Tell them about the situation. They will open the claim and contact your former employer to investigate. Once the investigation is completed, if the employer owes you money, they will be requested to do so from the DOL.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 4/2/2014
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    The easiest course of action is to complain to the Illinois Department of Labor. You can also file suit.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 4/2/2014
Click to View More Answers: