Was the search of the vehicle legal if the car wasn't mine and they did not officially arrest me for open container prior to the search of the vehicl 1 Answers as of August 11, 2016

While sitting in my friend’s car waiting for him to return, the police pulled up and boxed me in. The car was parked and they keys were not in the ignition. They said there was a call about a suspicious vehicle (no description of the vehicle was given to me). They noticed an open container in the vehicle (it was on sight, but merely being moved from one location to another) upon which they said they were arresting me for open container and pulled me out of the vehicle, searched my body and put me in the back of the cruiser. They did not ask my name or vehicle registration and didn't ask for ID, nor did they read me my rights. They proceeded to search the car in which they found a small quantity of cocaine. I said it wasn't mine, and the car wasn't mine, but I was arrested for possession.

Yes, that was all completely proper under current Michigan law. Whether they can prove the drugs were yours is a different matter. Hire an attorneys ASAP.