Was ownership of the money transferred to her at the moment that I put the money down and I told her to pick it up? 6 Answers as of March 28, 2014

I live in an apartment with 3 other people. I owed roommate A some money and told her I would pay back some of it (all of what was due immediately and some of what was due but could be paid back at a later date). I took amount X out of my bank account and used amount Y ($20 less than X) to pay her. I left the money in a hidden but accessible location in the kitchen area and texted A to get the money from the location. The next day A texted me and told me the money was not there. Assuming she was telling the truth that the money was not there (I have zero reason to doubt her veracity), how do I go about dealing with the fact that money was stolen? She says she will not be breathing on my back to get Y back but I want to know how the situation stands legally. Was it her fault for not going back to the apartment until late the next day to pick the money up?

James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Its not her fault. It's yours for leaving money where someone could get steal it. Why did you not keep it and hand it to her yourself?
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
A court might decide that you bore the risk of nondelivery by selecting the means of delivery.
No, she never had possession so its not her responsibility. Your only recourse is to report the crime, but the police would never bother investigating this as they would say it is someone within the house if the house was not broken into.
No, it is the fault of the thief who wrongfully took the money you left.
Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
No, it is your fault for not delivering it to her in a manner that insured that she would receive same.
    Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
    There is information not here that could be helpful, but the bottom line is you owe the money. It is not her responsibility to pick it up at a certain time. You should never pay a debt with cash unless you get a signed receipt at that instant a check or money order plus a signed receipt is best.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas