Was my girlfriends arrest for possession of drugs legal? 1 Answers as of February 11, 2011

My girlfriend got pulled over in our driveway in my car after the car was off and the keys were out of ignition. The local police said they thought the passenger was a known drug dealer in the area. They claimed to have ran my 30 day tag and it was expired. I just bought the car 3 days ago from a dealership. I had all papers in the car showing I just bought it. They found a joint in center console. Two male officers searched the two females and one male in my driveway found nothing on my girlfriend or the male passenger. The other female passenger had small amount of pot and what was claimed to be Vicodin. All three were handcuffed and taken to station for paper work. After they trashed my car, they released the male passenger and charged him with drug abuse. The other female passenger was charged with controlled substance, possession of marijuana and one other ticket. They found a small bag of cocaine on my girlfriend after they searched her again at the station. They then proceeded to take her to get a urine sample by a female officer next town over. 5 hours into the ordeal they finally brought her home. She did not receive her drivers license or my registration back from the officers. They would not even tell her if she was being charged with anything. She called the station after realizing she did not get her stuff back to ask if she could get her id and my registration. They told her to come back up later in the evening. It is her first offense for anything. What should we do? I thought only female officers can frisk female suspects?

Ron Graham Attorney at Law
Ron Graham Attorney at Law | Ron Graham
It sounds like you need an attorney.