Was I supposed to be read my Miranda rights at any time being placed under arrest? 2 Answers as of June 11, 2014

I was placed under arrest while my hand bag was being searched in a store back room for shoplifting. I was questioned by the cops in store and at the station and before I left, I went in to speak with detectives. I was questioned there too.

Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
Not necessarily. Miranda rights need to be read only if the police intend to use statements which you make against you at trial.
Law Office of Richard Southard
Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
You are supposed to be read your Miranda rights when you are being questioned while in custody. You describe a situation where it seems they should have read your rights. Unfortunately the remedy is not a dismissal of charges but your lawyer may be able to have the statements you made to the police thrown out. This may also help your attorney negotiate a plea bargain that results in no criminal conviction as a result or even an eventual dismissal of charges.