Update a green card outside of the United States? 4 Answers as of September 25, 2010

Do I need an attorney to update my green card? My name has been changed through marriage and I am currently in India, not in the United States.

The short answer is no, you do not need an attorney to renew your green card. However, you may have problems if you have stayed in India for too long (more than 6 months, 2 1/2 years of last 5 years), and shown indication that you have relinquished right to re-enter USA, without an application for Parole, where an explanation of your absence showing non-intent to renounce legal residency is attached. If you wish to discuss it further, with prospect of the help of an attorney, by all means call or e-mail me to set up a telephonic consultation. I can call back through Skype for international conferencing.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
You can file to renew your green card based on the new name. However, you must have a passport that has the same name and/or name change decree from India showing name change.
You cannot do it from abroad. You have to be in the US to get a new green card.