The PD is threatening me with accessory charge and I didn't know about the crime until 2 days afterwards do I need a lawyer? 26 Answers as of February 14, 2013

I found out that someone killed someone but not till two days later and the cops are telling me they can give me 25 to life for accessory to the crime. Can they do that or do I need to find a lawyer.

Law Office of Michael E. Dailey
Law Office of Michael E. Dailey | Michael E. Dailey
If the possibility of serving a prison sentence of many years is of no concern then you could chose to just ignore this. If the possibility of serving a few years in prison would be inconvenient to your life style then you better be in a lawyers office now.
Randy M. Lish, Attorney at Law | Randy M. Lish
Hire your own attorney or request a public defender.
Law Office of Joe Dane
Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
There's no way anybody on the internet is going to be able to tell you exactly what's going on, but you're now involved in some way with a murder case. This is absolutely nothing to mess with. GET A LAWYER NOW! Don't make any further statements to the police until you talk to your lawyer. IF you're contacted by the police, politely, but firmly decline to talk without your lawyer being present. It's a fine line between suspected, accused, charged and convicted. Your goal (with your lawyer) is to keep you from being arrested and charged. Get a lawyer. It's worth repeating.... get a lawyer.
The Law Office Of Sunny Eaton | Sunny Eaton
You definitely need to discuss your situation with a criminal defense attorney. Most importantly, do not talk any more to the police or anyone else out this situation until you have spoken with an attorney.
Maryam Jahedi Law Firm
Maryam Jahedi Law Firm | Maryam Jahedi
Accessory to murder is a serious charge. You need to speak to a criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible and do not make any statements to the police without your lawyer present.
    William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
    Consider whether you know the law, procedure, rules of evidence, prosecutor, and Judge well enough to risk having a permanent criminal record and possibly having to serve time.
    You may need to retain an attorney. You do not give enough details to provide further direction.
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    Depending on all facts, yes, a person can be charged with such. Highly advised you have an attorney, and give no statement.
    Anyone being accused or who beieves that they are suspected of criminal activity , should obtain counsel and probably not talk to cops even with counsel.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    Definitely consult a lawyer and have the lawyer deal with the police.
    Giannini Law Office, PC
    Giannini Law Office, PC | Robert Giannini
    Yes, absolutely, you need a lawyer. Your question is like someone asking the lab test says I may have cancer, do I need a doctor? In fact, getting to a lawyer needs to be your first priority, especially while you are still free. All of this gets a whole lot harder when you are living behind concrete and glass walls. You need to find a good criminal defense lawyer who practices in the county where you are facing the charge and meet with him or her NOW. I mean TODAY.
    The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
    The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
    I would hope that you would not talk to the police, but apparently you already have. No one should ever talk to the police, they should remain silent, ask for their lawyer and demand that all questioning stop. I do not know if you helped to commit the crime or helped the perpetrator escape, hid him, planned the crime, or in any way could be an accomplice to murder, but you need to retain a lawyer and let him talk to the police. The police know how to manipulate uneducated and unsophisticated people into making statements, informing on others, confessing, consenting to searches, and you are one of those people who they want to get information from. Fish only get caught when they open their mouth, lawyer up.
    You need an attorney. Whether or not you can be charged and convicted depends on what evidence the police have.
    Law Office of Gerald E. Smith
    Law Office of Gerald E. Smith | Gerald E. Smith
    If you are being charged with the crime of accessory to a murder case, you do need to talk to an experienced attorney. There are still many questions that need answers based upon your facts. What you should do for now is exercise your right to remain silent. Tell the officer that you have retained the services of an attorney and before they can talk to you they will need to contact your lawyer. Do not play around with the charge. If the police believe you actually aided or were an accessory after the fact, they can charge you. You may have defenses available but you need to discuss this with a criminal attorney.
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law | Jonathan S. Willett
    Find a lawyer.
    Not knowing all the facts involved in the case, it is difficult to say if the police have a sufficient basis for charging you as an accessory to murder. In any case, it would be wise to hire an attorney to represent you and advise you before speaking to the police.
    If you have been charged with a crime or are being investigated by the police for a crime, you definately need an experienced criminal lawyer on your side. Dont agree to speak to the police or give any statements until you have talked to a lawyer.
    Kevin H Pate
    Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
    Yes, and the sooner the better.
    To be an accessory to a crime you have to do something that aids in the person avoiding capture later in normal fact scenarios. If all you do is learn something after the fact then there is no crime.
    Yes, you need to get a lawyer.
    You better hire a lawyer before you make a wrong move, like open your mouth to the cops and seal your own fate. Ever heard of the right to remain silent? Now is not the time to save money pal. All the money in the world will be useless to you once you're in for 25 to life.
    Yes, you need a lawyer.
    Law Office of Jared C. Winter
    Law Office of Jared C. Winter | Jared C. Winter
    This should be obvious. YES, you need a lawyer. When the government threatens to take away your freedom for the rest of your life, it seems like a no brainer that you need an attorney.
    Rizio & Nelson
    Rizio & Nelson | John W. Bussman
    You definitely need a lawyer. Do not speak to the police without first consulting with an experienced, local criminal defense attorney. The cops will try to intimidate you into making statements that are not in your best interest. The police are not your friends and they're not interested in helping you; they're interesting in putting you in jail. That being said, do not help them do that.
    you need an attorney now, and do not speak to the police or any other person about the incident until you have one.
    Natty Shafer Law
    Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
    Yes, you should hire a lawyer. If a jury believes that you provided assistance after the fact, then yes, you can be convicted. Mere knowledge is not enough to prove assistance, though.