The judge said that my grandson will be eligible for bootcamp will this guarantee that he will indeed go to a bootcamp? 29 Answers as of May 28, 2013

During court proceedings, the judge told my grandson that after eleven months of time served that he would be eligible for bootcamp, will this guarantee that he will be able to go bootcamp?

James M. Osak, P.C.
James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
NO.
Just because he is eligible for bootcamp does not mean he will be accepted. He will still have to likely pass the physical and otherwise meet the qualifications set forth for bootcamp admission.
This depends on if he is accepted into boot camp. If he has physical, medical or psychological problems he may not be allowed in. The judge's OK is just the first step to getting in.
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
No.
No, there are no guarantees here, only a suggestion that he may be eligible for that program.
    No.
    William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
    No.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    No. The judge was just commenting on the possibility of bootcamp. What makes you think that it is an actual guarantee? The defendant would have to qualify fully.
    Your grandson will go to bootcamp only IF ordered by the judge AND there is bed space. When the judge says eligible, it usually means that the judge is nto ordering it, but giving a person hope.
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger | James A Schoenberger
    Eligibility is not a guarantee. There must be space in the bootcamp first.
    VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC
    VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC | Anthony Overton Van Johnson
    Based on the information you provided, being "eligible" for boot camp is not the same thing as being ordered to attend boot camp. The final decision of the court rules. For example, just because an individual is "eligible for 'First Offender', it does not mean that the person will be permitted to enter a plea under the "First Offender Act". If you have not already done so, you should retain the services of an attorney to represent your grandson.
    The fact that you are eligible for shock incarceration or "boot camp" as it is known does not mean that you will get in since there are limited spots and certain requirements. If you can afford an attorney it will help to have him contact the counselors who will review the applicants and make the final decisions.
    Without seeing the judge's order, I cannot say with certainty; however, if the judge indicated this to be the case, I would say there is a good chance.
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    Your grand son will have to stay out of trouble before he is admitted to bootcamp. I don't know what county you are dealing with and whether they take everyone who is eligible.
    There are no guarantees in life. He was told he might be ?eligible?. He needs to apply for it when that time arrives. If he maintains a clean record, he might get it, subject to room available at that time.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    He still needs to qualify by the rules of boot camp - but he probably will get in.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C. | Michael Morgan
    The problem with boot camp aka work ethic camp (WEC) is that the camp is located on McNeil Island and other than the Special Commitment Center it is my understanding that the rest of the facilities managed by the Department of Corrections at McNeil Island (including WEC are closed).
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    I don't trust those "boot camp" programs you should tell his parents to have a sit down with your son and his lawyer to go over all of his options.
    Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
    Being eligible for something is no guarantee that he will be accepted. However, if a judge is telling you he's eligible, then there's a likelihood he'll be accepted.
    Law Office of Bernal Peter Ojeda | Bernal Peter Ojeda
    Never guarantees but yes if judge gives an indicated sentence then 90 percent done.
    Law Office of Jared C. Winter
    Law Office of Jared C. Winter | Jared C. Winter
    A mere statement of eligibility is not a guarantee.
    Langford Law Firm
    Langford Law Firm | Theresa Langford
    Actually, it technically does not. It means that the judge has structured the sentencing so that it does not deny him the opportunity to apply if he is otherwise eligible. It does not guarantee acceptance.
    There are no guarantees in criminal law. Ultimately the decision will be up to the Department of Corrections. If your grandson proves to be a disciplinary problem, he may be denied the opportunity.