Someone has stolen old checks from a closed and forged my signature, what do I do to counter? Posted on January 04, 2011

I moved out of my boyfriend's house in August of 2005 and moved to another city. I had left a few boxes and some clothes there until I could get settled in elsewhere. In one of the boxes was a box of old checks from a closed account. I am about to leave the state so I called the Police in that town to ask if anyone had turned in a purse (my mom's car had been broken into) and also asked if there were any parking tickets or anything like that on my record?" The lady said yes, that I have fines totaling $1000 for checks that were written in that town in 2006. I wasn't even in town during 2006 and at the end of summer I had moved to New Mexico. I know there is no way I had written any of those checks (especially on a closed account). Where do I start to handle this? Will they appoint me an attorney? Will they have a hand writing specialist available for me or do I have to pay for that? Am I liable for my checks being stolen?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: