What legal action should I take after suffering from slip and fall knee injury? 50 Answers as of July 17, 2013

I had a slip and fall in a small family owned grocery store. I injured my knee had arthroscopic surgery, physical therapy and joint fluid injections and will need replacement surgery. Can you give me a ball park what I need to ask for this? I have bills equaling $20,000 already all paid out of pocket no insurance. Insurance company has admitted fault. Store had a video tape.

Joel H. Schwartz, P.C.
Joel H. Schwartz, P.C. | Steven A. Schwartz
As much as I would like to, it is really impossible to give you a monetary figure with the information you provided. Any experienced attorney would need to review the medical records and review all the facts surrounding your potential claim. How long have you been suffering? How has it affected your life? What can't you do now that you could before? We also do not know how your replacement surgery will go. Will you have any permanent effects from it? If you have a permanent injury, that would certainly increase the value of your claim substantially. Given the severity of your injury, I can't stress how important it is for you NOT to settle this on your own. Insurance companies routinely take advantage of those that are unrepresented and you will undoubtedly not get everything you are entitled to. It really is best to speak to experienced counsel who has negotiated these types of claims and injuries. The Insurance Research Council reports that you can expect more than a 40% increase in the compensation you receive by having an attorney represent you. Our firm has resolved successfully thousands of claims like yours.
Atterbury, Kammer & Haag | Eric J. Haag
You should hire a lawyer who you can trust and who has experience with personal injury cases, including trial experience. Most PI attorneys will meet with you or at least talk to you at no cost and you should take advantage of that by interviewing as many as you need until you find one you are comfortable with. You may think they are admitting fault, but I would find it to be an extremely rare situation for an insurance company to not claim the victim is at least partially at fault in a slip and fall. I am not saying I agree with that, but I would be surprised if that is not the approach they take.
Michael J. Sgarlat Attorney at Law | Michael Joseph Sgarlat
You can sue but must prove the store owner knew or should have known about the dangerous condition and that there was no warning given.
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
It depends almost entirely on how much you played a roll yourself and how much prior notice the store had. So, for example. Let's say that a jury finds that your total damages (med bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, etc) are worth $30,000. (this is a completely hypothetical number) Then they have to apportion fault between you and the store. They may find the store at fault for a bad floor, but may also think you are partially at fault for looking over your shoulder when you fell (for example), then they may divide the fault 50/50 (the store pays you 15k) or 90/10 or 10/90 or any other variation. The store only pays the portion of the 30k that they are at fault for. But if the store had ongoing problems, lots of complaints, etc, then the jury may want to punish them, either by raising the level of your total damages (e.g. saying your total damages are worth 40 instead of 30), or by assigning more fault the the store (e.g. saying they are 90% to blame). At the end of the day, juries do whatever they want with the numbers. That's the danger of trials. Knowing that, it's best to work with an attorney early on to evaluate your case, discuss the pros and cons, and try to work out a settlement. Then the attorney can advise you whether or not to go to trial.
Fisher & LaMonica, P.C. | Erron Fisher
I am surprised to hear an insurance company has "admitted fault" in a slip and fall. I would be weary of this. Very often, insurance companies will be agreeable until right up to the statute of limitations and, if it is missed, they will withdraw their offer and the admission of fault is meaningless. You have significant damages which would justify a case. I would see a qualified attorney with your claim immediately. It is important to remember that there is a statute of limitations, so do not let this matter linger.
    You don't say how long ago this happened, but you only have three years from the date of injury to initiate a law suit in NY. Secondly, there must be some sort of negligence on the part of the store to justify suing them, such as vegetables on the floor or liquid upon which you slipped and fell. There must also either be notice to the owner or operator of the substance on the floor before you fell or sufficient time between when it was placed there and when the accident happened to hold them responsible for your injury because they failed to clean it up in a timely fashion.
    Phyllis R. Williams, P.C. | Phyllis R. Williams
    Generally it is not a good idea for you to proceed pro se in a case like this. An attorney is trained to investigate to see if there may be other parties who bear liability for your injury, is skilled at negotiating settlements, and may determine if you should file a lawsuit. We, we would have to take a close look at the facts and details of the accident, your injuries and any other contribution factors there may be before we could give you a range for what your case may be worth.
    Law Office of Sam Levine, LLC
    Law Office of Sam Levine, LLC | Sam L. Levine
    I am so sorry that this happened to you. Under the circumstances and given the severe nature & extent of your injuries, I would recommend that you hire an attorney to handle the negotiation & settlement of your injury claims related to your slip & fall. There are just way too many pitfalls to going alone without representation.
    Law Offices of Richard Copeland, LLC
    Law Offices of Richard Copeland, LLC | Richard Copeland
    I cannot evaluate your claim based on the information that you give me. It will be very hard for anyone to evaluate claim until you have some estimate of the cost of the knee replacement and some proof that you're going to need in the replacement. You also have the right to compensation for more than her medical bills. If you lost time from work, you can recover the income that you lost. You can also recover for your pain and suffering, impairment, disfigurement, loss of enjoyment of life. You should not settle the claim until you were reasonably sure that your doctors have either released you from treatment or have accurately assessed your future medical needs.
    Bozich & Korn | Joseph A. Korn
    What you need to ask for is a very difficult question that can only be determined after considering many different factors. Such factors that need to be considered include, the age of the injured person; the anticipated/estimated cost of the future medical treatment that is being recommended; ongoing complaints that are present; and the impact this injury had on your activities. In addition, even though the insurance company may say they admit fault, if they turn it over to their attorneys it can still change, since it would most likely be viewed as a statement made in hopes of settlement, which are inadmissible. So in addition to the above, you would have to consider such factors as what caused the fall; was it an open and obvious condition, did the store have notice of the condition, and what if any steps the store took to warn of the "dangerous" condition; among others. I strongly recommend that you consider retaining an attorney who can assist you in resolving this matter for reasonable value. In my experiences, insurance companies are not always upfront with lay people, nor do they offer the same amounts to individuals, that they do to attorneys who handle these cases on a regular basis, and are familiar with what reasonable value would be for this matter.
    Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine
    Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine | Richard Martin
    You seem to be talking about past medical expenses. You should also consider what future medical expenses you might incur. Additionally, the law does provide for non-economic damages, commonly known as "pain and suffering." What amount would it take to compensate you for your pain and suffering incurred as a result of the negligence which injured you.
    Law Offices of Tom Patton
    Law Offices of Tom Patton | Thomas C. Patton
    Injury values vary greatly among jurisdictions. Within my state, the value of your injury could vary from $20,000 to $60,000, depending upon too many factors that you have not described, including location. You should consult an attorney in your area. With most injury attorneys, the consultation is free, and you will get the answers you seek.
    When did insurance companies start admitting fault? This is a new idea. Tell me what the fault is. Juries and judges do not like slip and fall cases because there are so many fraudulent claims and exaggerations. But if you have a clear case of fault and no fault on your part ask the dr what percentage of [permanency you have ( maybe 10 or 15, perhaps more) and then ask the carrier for ten times the medical bills. They wont pay it but it might start negotiations. If they think your demand is too high they may not even respond to you.
    DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C.
    DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C. | Dean T Jennings
    2 and times your actual expenses.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    I would be shocked that any insurance company is really admitting fault in a fall down case. I believe in reality they will low ball you and force you to hire a lawyer. First you need to have your doctor assign a permanent impairment rating . The settlement depends on numerous factors not in your email. I would suggest a range of $125,000-$175,000 based only on the information I have.
    AyerHoffman, LLP
    AyerHoffman, LLP | David C. Ayer
    Depending on exactly how you slipped and fell, the cause, the conditions of the store, and other factors, you may have a very strong claim. You should consult with a personal injury attorney immediately. Do not attempt to negotiate with the insurance company or its attorney yourself.
    Steven Harrell, Attorney at Law | Waymon Steven Harrell
    The traditional rule of thumb is three times the amount of your medical bills. You also need to add in the cost of future medical treatment as well. It is highly doubtful that the insurer will pay you the big money needed to settle this claim without an attorney. You should hire an attorney ASAP.
    Assessment of an appropriate settlement requires detailed analysis of liability and damages, including application of legal principles, evidenciary factors, medical documentation, out of pocket expenses, calculation of future losses and experience in your jurisdiction as to likely range of prospective jury awards. To answer the question properly, one would need extensive examination of all the evidence, particularly the medical records.
    E. Ray Critchett, LLC
    E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
    Generally, if you are injured at in a store due to a "slip and fall" type of accident, you still need to prove that the store was liable for causing the fall. The video tape may assist you in doing this so I would try to get a copy of the video and/or send them a written letter asking them not to destroy the video. As far as a "ball park" for your injuries, it really is impossible to do with the facts given. I would need to know a lot more before I could try and evaluate your case.
    The real question is what caused you to fall and is the store responsible. They have to be negligent. Just falling in the store is not enough. Get a lawyer.
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    No; that's not possible on the little information provided. The first problem has to do with causation. A lawyer needs to review a medical report about causation, did the fall cause the need for the surgery, before being able to assess proximate cause. And then the lawyer would need to know more, a lot more about how you fell and what caused you to fall before assigning fault, which might reduce the amount of the settlement. As I said, no it's not possible.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Beaver Holt Sternlicht and Courie, P.A.
    Beaver Holt Sternlicht and Courie, P.A. | Mark A. Sternlicht
    A lawyer handling this claim would consider a number of factors to determine the settlement value of this case. These would include the cost of replacement surgery, rehabilitation, other related expenses, any past and future lost wages, your age, whether there is a chance you might need another replacement years later, the likelihood of a substantial jury verdict in the county where suit would be filed, and a number of other factors relevant to how strong your case would be. All of this is complex enough that you would probably be well served by talking to an experienced personal injury attorney.
    Attorney at Law | Ernest Krause
    You usually ask for three to four times the cost of your treatment. Ad to the base figure of $20,000 the full cost of the upcoming surgery plus the expected cost of treatment beyond that. Ask for FIVE times your medical expenses. Add in value of time lost from work, if any. Some insurance companies/claims examiners pay significantly more (for comparable claims) than others. Do some creative google searches. Even if you miss the top by several thousand dollars by doing this yourself, you are saving the one-third attorney fee. Maybe you could find an attorney to "close the deal" for a reasonable flat fee.
    How much to ask for is a complex issue depending on numerous factors that are left out of the facts you recited Especially important is how this will affect your ability to work and enjoy life in the future.
    Law Office of Ronald Arthur Lowry
    Law Office of Ronald Arthur Lowry | Ronald Arthur Lowry
    The amount is negotiable. It is impossible to say what the correct amount is without more information. Do NOT try to negotiate this yourself. The insurer has lawyers on retainer who are experts at this sort of thing and while you may not even be aware those attorneys are already advising the insurer how to get out of your case by paying as little as possible. Get an attorney experienced at premises liability cases immediately.
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O.
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O. | Eric R. Chandler
    I would want to see the video showing the accident and review your medical records before giving an opinion. You are probably asking for too specific of advice for a general information Q & A. For an injury case that significant, you should schedule a consult with and injury attorney in your city. What you should accept for settlement depends largely on the facts surrounding the incident, the type of surgery you had (ACL, MCL, torn meniscus, microfracture, etc., etc.), whether or not you had any pre-existing injuries, and your feeling regarding the situation.
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm | Francis Hajek
    Slip and fall injury cases are always challenging for the personal injury lawyer. So, you are fortunate that the insurance company has admitted liability. I hope that you have this admission in writing as you may find that the insurance company backtracks when you ask for a lot of money. I write this because the costs for a knee replacement are significant and, depending on your age and level of physical activity, you may be looking at more than one knee replacement surgery. There are also associated problems with knee injuries that arise because of the stress placed on other joints and body parts because of the knee injury. For instance, I have had clients develop foot problems such as plantar fasciitis because of gait changes. Hips can be affected and even the other uninjured knee can develop problems. You do not state many important factors such as your age and whether or not there are lost wages involved, so it is difficult to provide an accurate assessment of damages. You also need to be aware that whatever settlement you reach is final and if you have additional problems in years to come, then you cannot go back and reopen the matter. I think any settlement with such significant damages needs to be well into the six figure range. The question of how many hundreds of thousands of dollars depends on some of the variable mentioned above.
    Andrews & Sanders Law Office
    Andrews & Sanders Law Office | Richard A Sanders Jr
    If the insurance company is willing to pay then ask them how much? You are the only one that can determine how much money will make amends for your damages. I find it hard to believe that the insurance company is going to pay you what you deserve. You are very lucky, if this is the case. Let the insurance company know about your medical expenses. Let them know the pain you have been through. Tell them how it has affected your life and that of your family members. Tell them how it has affected your job. If the insurance company is not willing to adequately compensate you then you should contact an attorney.
    It sounds like a good case, but I doubt any adjuster will pay you fair value on the case without an attorney. Certainly give it a try.
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    The first question that must be asked was how did you injure yourself. Eventhough you fell on someone else's property you must show that they were negligence. You should contact a lawyer as soon as possible to discuss the facts of the case to determine if there is negligence.
    Shaw Law Firm
    Shaw Law Firm | Steven L. Shaw
    Get a lawyer. Slip and fall cases are tough even when the property owner takes responsibility.
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C.
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C. | Robert Kelly
    The question of the extent of damages for a personal injury is complicated. Probably the best summary of the law on the question is Chapter 30 - 35 of the Washington Pattern Jury Instructions, Civil. http://weblinks.westlaw.com/toc/default.aspx?Abbr=WA-WPI&Action=expandtree&AP=Ib805a660a96511da8de7aa0ea4dc7e9b&ItemKey=Ib805a660a96511da8de7aa0ea4dc7e9b&RP=%2Ftoc%2Fdefault%2Ewl&Service=TOC&RS=WEBL12.01&VR=2.0&SPa=wciji-1000&fragment#Ib805a660a96511da8de7aa0ea4dc7e9b . You might also get a better picture by reading some similar cases on the MRSC website.
    Lafer Law Firm | Marc S. Lafer
    Frankly, I think you need an attorney, this is why. Irrespective of the insurance company supposedly admitting fault, this is not the same as the grocery store admitting fault. In a slip & fall, the defendant will claim you were at fault for being inattentive and failing to observe the hazard. If you need knee replacement surgery, I suspect there is an underlying condition which the defense will claim pre-existed the slip & fall and would be the cause of any future knee replacement. You should: Make a demand to the insurance company to pay your medical bills under the medical pay provision of the grocery store's insurance policy which they likely have. You need to demand the store maintain the videotape relating to this claim and request a copy. If they don't give it to you, all the more reason to retain counsel. You are in no position to settle if you need future surgery. Insurance companies won't give you a maximum settlement value without the surgery. If you do need surgery, there are no assurances whether it will be successful. You might need additional surgeries. The bottom line is that is sounds way premature to settle this case at present. There are too many unknowns, not even mentioning how the injury will affect your future employment and earning capacity. Don't forget you likely have a two year statute of limitations from the date of incident to file any lawsuit.
    When did this happen? If more than two years ago, statute of limitations has run. You should contact a personal injury lawyer.
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    I would like to see the written admission by the insurance company. Did you lose wages? Have you seen the videotape and what does it prove?
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Lapin Law Offices
    Lapin Law Offices | Jeffrey Lapin
    You ask two separate questions, which I will answer separately: Question 1: What legal action should I take after suffering from slip and fall knee injury? Assuming your statute of limitations is not about to expire, you should try to settle with the insurance company when you are ready. Your case is ready is when you have fully healed or have reached medical maximum improvement (MMI), which means basically means you are as healed as you are going to get although you still may need medical treatment to maintain your condition. If you are nearing the statute of limitations you should have a lawsuit filed against the grocery store. Generally, there is a four year statute of limitations for slip and falls in Nebraska. If you do not either have your case settled or a lawsuit on file before the statute of limitations expires, you will lose your rights to collect any money for your fall. This assumes you fell within the store, which you indicate was "family owned." If the state or a city, county or other political subdivision is involved, there are other requirements, including significantly shorter time limits. However, the information you provided does not seem to indicate the state or a political subdivision is involved so I will not discuss these other requirements. There are some other things, which again you do not list, which could change the statute of limitations. If cannot reach a settlement with the insurance company, your only option is to file suit and ultimately let a judge or jury decide what your case is worth. Question 2: Can you give me a ball park what I need to ask for this? This is much harder question to answer. I do not have enough information to even provide a "ball park" estimate. A person may be entitled to money for any or all of the following for an injury: (1) The nature and extent of the injury, including whether the injury is temporary or permanent and whether any resulting disability is partial or total; (2) the reasonable value of the medical care and supplies reasonably needed by and actually provided to you; (3) the reasonable value of the medical care and supplies reasonably certain to be needed and provided in the future; (4) the wages/ income you lost because of your inability to work; (4) the reasonable value of the earning capacity you are reasonably certain to lose in the future; (5) the physical pain and mental suffering you have experienced; (6) the physical pain and mental suffering you are reasonably certain to experience in the future; (7) the inconvenience you have experienced; and (8) the inconvenience you are reasonably certain to experience in the future. There is no formula to determine what is case is worth; each case is different. The value of your case depends on the above items. You have listed one of them, past medical expenses of $20,000. However, without information as to the other factors I could not hazard a guess what your case might be worth. DISCLAIMER: This response is based on the limited information provided, makes certain assumptions, and assumes that all events took place in Nebraska. In addition, this response is not a substitute for professional legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is it a solicitation to offer legal advice. If you ignore this warning and convey confidential information in a private message or comment, there is no duty to keep that information confidential or forego representation adverse to your interests. You should seek the advice of a licensed attorney in the appropriate jurisdiction before taking any action that may affect your rights. If you believe you have a claim, you should consult an attorney immediately, otherwise there is a risk that the time allotted to bring your claim may expire.
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    You need a lawyer otherwise the insurance company will take advantage of you.
    Ford, Howard & Cornett, P.C. | Bradley Cornett
    Ask the insurance company to make you an offer. Then take that offer to a good personal injury lawyer for a free initial consultation. If the lawyer thinks that he/she can get you a better settlement or judgment, then the attorney should be willing to take the case on a percentage of the amount over the insurance company's offer that the attorney achieves. For example, if the insurance company offers $30,000, then you should be looking for an attorney who will take the case for a percentage of any recovery over $30,000 that the attorney achieves on your behalf.
    Parks Law Group
    Parks Law Group | Melinda J. Parks
    It's difficult to say exactly what you should expect to receive because many factors are considered when calculating damages in a slip and fall (or any personal injury) case. Generally speaking, you should seek to have all medicals bills reimbursed and also demand pain and suffering damages (there is no set formula for this). I can say with certainty that the insurance company will try to get away with paying you as little as possible regardless of what your case is actually worth. I suggest you contact an attorney soon, as this will enhance your chances of obtaining a higher settlement or take the case to trial.
    Chalat Hatten & Koupal PC
    Chalat Hatten & Koupal PC | Linda Chalat
    You should talk with a personal injury attorney - one with experience with "slip and fall" cases or in legal terms, premise liability cases. The insurance company will not pay you full compensation without the threat of a lawsuit and possible trial, and the only leverage you have is to have an attorney represent you.
    Colling Gilbert Wright & Carter | Melvin B. Wright
    Impossible to evaluate accurately without all information, but you need to star high enough to give you plenty of room for negotiations. Something like at least 250k or more. Because they will start very low. Of course, any good lawyer is going to tell you this is a guess without reviewing all your medical records etc and that you really ought to have a lawyer on this kind of case. You never know what you might be overlooking. With that disqualified, hope this helps.
    Holzer Edwards
    Holzer Edwards | Kurt Holzer
    It is impossible to give someone a ball park figure with any accuracy. Damages are driven by many factors including past medical history, functional impacts on your life, medical evaluations of the injury, and many many more considerations. You have a right to full compensation for your losses under the law if the negligence of the property owner is the cause of the injury. Evaluating such issues is part of what lawyers do.
    Passen Law Group | Matthew Passen
    I would call a lawyer with experience in these types of cases who can make sure you receive fair compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, loss of normal life, disfigurement, and wage loss. Past and future damages are recoverable.
    The Olawale Law Firm | Emmanuel Olawale
    It is difficult to put dollars and cents on pain and suffering, especially when there are no details as to the specifics of the pain and suffering. I will suggest anything between $30,000 to $80,000.00 to be reasonable.
    The Law Offices of Jason Chan
    The Law Offices of Jason Chan | Jason Chan
    Need all the medical reports and medical bills. Hire a lawyer and have him write a formal demand and negotiate a settlement. It wouldn't be smart to settle your own case.
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC | Russell D. Gray
    You need an attorney, and soon. An attorney will have the expertise to make sure you get the most possible out of the claim - not just for past and future medical bills, but for lost wages and pain and suffering. All these things are different to pursue on your own, especially as you focus on your own recovery.
    Law Office of Garrett S. Handy
    Law Office of Garrett S. Handy | Garrett S. Handy
    Without knowing more about your case, I cannot say what you should ask for. There are a variety of factors that should be considered when determining how much to demand and when determining how much a case is worth.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney