Since we both live in the same state, can I drag out the divorce for another year to get health insurance benefits from him? 4 Answers as of May 28, 2017

I just got 10 year green card today. My husband has filed for a divorce 2 months ago. We're not officially divorced yet. Will it affect my green card or citizenship application in the future if I try to drag out the divorce process? Can I change my last name after the divorce (a year from now) and before applying for citizenship (3 years from now) because I will have to change last name on the green card and USCIS may look at it as suspicious?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
Depending on which county the divorce was filed in, determines whether you have a set trial date or not. Unless there is a trial related reason to continue the trial date, the divorce has to be finalized by then. As part of the divorce you can change your name. You then simply send that information to Immigration and they will issue a new green card in the new name. There is nothing suspicious about that. It's common to change one's name back to the maiden name as part of a divorce.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/28/2017
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
You can change the name . If you are dependent on marriage you will need evidence to show you entered marriage in good faith and the marriage termination was beyond your control.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 5/25/2017
Law Office of John G. Galasso | John George Galasso
I cannot give you legal advice about dragging out a simple divorce case; The time it takes is up to the court you filed in.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 5/25/2017
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Immigration has become so complicated that it is a separate specialty amongst lawyers. I strongly suggest you consult and immigration lawyer promptly. You can find one online, or on the web.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 5/25/2017
Click to View More Answers: