Since the DUI case was dismissed, is it possible to get my license reinstated prior to the October 10 date? 3 Answers as of June 20, 2017

I was pulled over for a DUI and I went to numerous court dates. The end result was the summary of suspension hearing was waived due to the lawyer that represented me saying that he did not want certain evidence to be presented in this part of the case even though it wasn't admissible in the DUI case. The suspension was a 36-month suspension. The DUI case ended up being dismissed so that never took place. The 36th month suspension will end October 10 of this year. I had moved prior to this happening and have not lived in there since this happened. I moved to another state. I guess my thoughts are since it was dismissed and wasn't found guilty how am I still serving this suspension.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
The statutory summary suspension is a separate matter from the criminal DUI. Although discharged of the DUI, the SSS remains, unless you filed a petition to rescind the suspension, which was granted by the court. As your lawyer waived a hearing on that issue, the suspension still prevails. The good news is that the suspension will expire in a few months. Be sure to pay any reinstatement fee to the secretary of state/DMV, to get the suspension lifted, and restoring your driving privileges.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 6/20/2017
The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
Your suspension will continue until the termination date, so long as you pay your reinstatement fee and do not get convicted for driving while suspended (in which case, the suspension will get extended). Your suspension was for refusing a breath test. Since there wasn't a hearing to determine that you didn't actually refuse, or one of the other possible grounds for rescission, your suspension will remain in effect regardless of the result of the underlying DUI case.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 6/20/2017
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Well I certainly do not like justifying a government activity which caused you so much trouble. But the suspension probably arose as an administrative determination of the Department of Transportation, rather than as a court sentence. So...I think your best bet is to contact the Wis. Dept. of Transportation, find the office which deals with suspensions, and ask them for a petition to reinstate your license (which you may be able to get online). On the petition (or whatever they call it) you can explain about the suspension and how your DUI case was dismissed. Ordinarily, though, an Administrative Suspension lasts only six months. I am guessing that you had some history of DUI, or your blood alcohol content was extremely high. You could also contact your own lawyer, of course, to attend to this.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 6/20/2017
Click to View More Answers: