Should we hire a personal injury attorney if my wife was injured at a hotel? 1 Answers as of July 28, 2010

We were staying at a hotel and the corner of the sliding glass shower door was exposed. My wife cut her leg when she was getting in the shower and got a large gash. We had to go to the urgent care to get stitches. What should we do? I would never think about hiring a personal injury attorney but do we stand to gain if we do hire one?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
You certainly may have a premises liability claim against the hotel if the condition was truly hazardous and not a "trivial condition." In any event the hotel should pay for your medical expenses because their insurance policy likely has a med-pay provision to cover such things regardless of whether they are liable in a civil action or not.

It is not likely for an attorney to be too excited to take such a case on a contingency basis since your damages are not that great. If your wife was about to model in TV commercial showing her legs and got cancelled because of this, that would be a different story. You could possibly make a claim in small claims if they will not give you any compensation over and above your medical expenses. Make a written demand for them to pay you and see what happens. It is a prerequisite for small claims court anyway. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/28/2010
Click to View More Answers: