Should we file for a fiancee or spouse visa? 4 Answers as of June 20, 2011

I have been told in the states that I need a fiance visa and that it is faster and cheaper to get my fiance to the US. When I got here to the Philippines where she lives they told me I should be having a spouse visa. Which one is faster for me to get my girl to me? Also they told me that if she comes over on a fiance visa that she can not work for a year, is that true?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
If you are married, you cannot file fiance visa.You need to file I-130 and or K3 visa. If not, you must file fiance visa for her to come to the US. Once in the US, you must marry her within 90 days. Then she files I-485 to adjust her status to permanent resident. She will receive employment authorization in about 2-3 months after the filing.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/20/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
All things being equal if you can go there and get married that is recommended - processing times are the same and I think psychologically the consulate likes this better. Also a bit cheaper as one less step to go through before she can work. If you marry and she comes as a permanent resident she will be able to work immediately.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/20/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
that is incorrect, about not being able to work for a year under the fiance visa. In terms of which is quicker, in my office they are roughly taking the same time.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/20/2011
The Jarrett Firm, LLC
The Jarrett Firm, LLC | Patrick Jarrett
If you are not married and want to get married in the US, you should apply for a fiance visa. You would need to get married within 90 days of her entry into the US. Following that period, you would need to file for her adjustment of status to lawful permanent resident. If you have other questions, feel free to contact me or visit my website.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/20/2011
Click to View More Answers: