Should we be still charged for the back rent that we owe that was part of our bankruptcy? 1 Answers as of June 07, 2017

My wife and I recently tried to rent an apartment. We went there and picked out a unit and we paid the security deposit. We also passed the background and signed a lease. Now, they said they sent it to corporate office for notarizing and there is an issue. Years ago, at another building owned by them, we owed them back money for rent. I filed chapter 7 and put it into the bankruptcy. My bankruptcy was recently discharged and not sure if they discharged that debt but now they are saying we can't move in until we pay a past balance from the other building. I thought that would have come up in the background they ran on us and before we signed an actual lease. Now we gave notice at our old place that we were leaving to move into this place so kind of stuck in a hard place. I don't know if once you sign the lease, it's a legal agreement and binding or that can do that. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Law Office of John G. Galasso | John George Galasso
Check with your bankruptcy attorney to see if he included that debt.