Should we all file a petition for our mother or is one enough? 4 Answers as of April 22, 2011

Does it help or make a difference if my 2 brothers and I petition for our mother's residency? If so, do we each file separate petitions? She already lives in the US and has for over 30 years. She has a legal SSN, Drivers License and pays taxes annually but is still illegal. She received some sort of legal permission to work here about 20 yrs ago but is still illegal. Unfortunately I was convicted of a DUI last year, will this have a negative effect?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
One application should be enough. Your DUI will not affect your ability to file for her. I am curious to know what kind of work permit she received 20 years ago. That may make her eligible to process her immigration application here in the States without having to leave to get her visa in her country of origin. Good luck though.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/22/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
It is always best to file petitions by each petitioner who can petition someone. This way if one of the petitions is denied, or if the petitioner passes away, the other petitions can be used. You DUI conviction does not affect the petition.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/22/2011
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
You have to designate one of you, you or one of your siblings, to be the I-130 petitioner. The fact that your mother received permission to work over 30 years ago may be huge in determining her eligibility for green card status under section 245i of the Immigration & Nationality Act. Also, if she has resided continually since before 1972, she may also be eligible as exempt from inadmissibility. If you wish more consultation for the application to take place, please feel free to call or e-mail me, to set up a consultation, by phone or in person.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/21/2011
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
One child is sufficient to file.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/21/2011
Click to View More Answers: