Should the selling price not justify the weaker value than the assessment they used? How? 9 Answers as of August 28, 2015

My fathers estate was handled a a small (under 10k) until the clerk realized his property tax assessment was just enough to raise it over 10k. He owed 7500 on this little park model and I was only able to sell it for $5600, which was the payoff. Should the selling price not justify the weaker value than the assessment they used?

In California, i believe the small estate limit is $100,000, not $10,000. I would think they would use the appraised value, which might be based upon the tax appraisal, but not the sales price as that is an after the fact figure. Also, I believe they use the value ignoring any mortgages.
Often property taxes are paid a year after the assessment is made. If that's the case, there's probably little you can do to lower it. However, if it is still possible to appeal the assessed value, you can use the sale price as a reason to get the value reduced.
The selling price is the best evidence of the value. However, if the estate is already in full administration it's too late to do a small estate now.
Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
The small estate affidavit in Illinois can be used up to $100000.00. Assessed value is determined at a point in time. If not challenged within the stated time frame the value cannot be changed until the next anniversary of the valuation date. An actual sale will affect a subsequent valuation but not the existing valuation.
Robert E. Giffin | Robert E. Giffin CPA
That would be a yes.
    Polsinelli Shughart PC | William B. Prugh
    The sales price is not necessarily determinative of the fair market value of the property when the county assesses it (usually as of January 1st of the current or prior year). But, discuss this with the county assessor and ask for an explanation. Same response if your question is about qualifying for the small estate procedure, the sale after the date of death is not always determinative of the fair market value.
    You need to file an appeal with the taxing authority if you dispute the assessment.
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    Based on the facts you state, the estate is insolvent and the assessment value has little value.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    Is this an Oregon question? The county clerk doesn't handle tax assessments in Oregon; also, I'm not aware of any estate proceeding with a $10,000 cut-off. Oregon's small estate affidavit applies to personal property of up to $75,000.